Dr Joseph Eby Ruin @ Dr Josef Eby Ruin.
FCCA(UK); CA(M’sia); Hon DBA-Mgt Phi(Kursk)
(Proprietor of RiskFirst Consultancy & Training Services)
Joseph Eby Ruin graduated in ACCA(UK) in 1976, was an Associate Member in 1979, and elevated to Fellow Member in 1984. He was admitted as a member of The Malaysian Institute of Accountants in 1983. For his many publications of management books, newspaper articles, and conference/seminar/workshop papers, he was conferred an honorary degree of Doctor of Business Administration (Mgt Philosophy) by Kursk State Technical University Russia in 2006. He was elected the Regional Director for the Malaysian Chapter of PRMIA (Professional Risk Mgrs’ International Association) in November 2007; and held office from Nov’07 to April’10. He was the Treasurer of FAAM (Fulbright scholars Almuni Association of Malaysia) from May’08 to April’10. With approval from Central Bank of Cambodia, in Jan’10 he was invited to be an independent director of a large commercial bank in Cambodia. In Sept’10, with the consent of Bank Negara Malaysia, he was appointed as an Executive Director/Chief Compliance Officer to a remittance company operating many branches throughout Malaysia.
Executive/managerial experience: Joseph’s executive and managerial career spanned the past 3 decades. Throughout this 30 years, he worked in 6 different banks as Branch Manager and later holding various posts at the corporate head office. He also worked in 5 non-banking organisations where he held various executive/ managerial capacities, as Head of Internal Audit/Chief Auditor and Secretary to the Board’s Audit Committee.His last job before he retired in April 2007 was as the Chief Risk Officer/Head of Risk Management Division of a large M’sian commercial bank. Prior to that he was the General Manager/Compliance Officer for Anti-money laundering (AMLA) of another Malaysian bank. He is now the Principal/Proprietor of RiskFirst Consultancy & Training Services.
Sabbatical work: He was awarded the US-sponsored Fulbright Professional Exchange Program in 1995/96. For this sabbatical in the US he was attached to the Institute of Internal Auditors Inc Head Office at Altamonte Springs Florida; where he participated in an advanced auditing & corporate governance review workshops in Orlando Florida, Pheonix Arizona, Dallas Texas, and in Washington DC. In May 2004 he participated in the intensive workshop/seminar on risk management at INSEAD Paris France.
Speaker: From 1996 onwards, Joseph is a regular speaker/facilitator/panel chairman for public and inhouse forums / workshops and conferences. He has accepted invitations to deliver his papers in Kuala Lumpur, Dubai UAE, Mekong Institute Khon Kaen University Thailand, Fontainbleu Paris France, Shanghai & Beijing China, Sydney & Melbourne Australia, Bangkok Thailand, Mumbai &Hyderabad India, Singapore, Phnom Phen Cambodia, Orlando Florida, Hong Kong, Brunei, Mauritius, Nairobi Kenya, Manila Philippines, Seoul Korea, Hanoi &Ho Chee Min City Vietnam, Bali & Jakarta Indonesia.
Newspaper and journal articles: Since 1996 Joseph has contributed articles focusing on his areas of work. These articles are published in the local Malaysian newspapers (the NST) regularly, as well as in Malaysian business-magazines and professional newsletters/journals.
NGOs and voluntary organisations: Joseph has been active in voluntary and charitable organisations. He was Asst.Secretary of DBNA Kuching Branch (1980-81), Charter President of The Certified Accountants Society of Sarawak(1982), President of KK Host Lions Club(1986-87), Zone Chairman Lions Club Int’l Zone 14 Region 5 District 308A, Secretary Kuching HHH(1980), Committee for Kinabalu Golf Club Sabah (1987), Board of Governors for the Institute of Internal Auditors Malaysia (1998-1999),Treasurer of Fulbright Almuni Association of Malaysia (2008-2010) Regional Director of PRMIA (Professional Risk Managers International Association KL Malaysia Chapter (2007-2010).
Management books: Joseph has authored 19 management-books titled
(1) Enterprise-wide Risk Management Made Easy,2nd edition;
(2) Managing Operational Risks in Organisations,3rd edition;
(3) Managing Crisis in Organisation,2nd edition;
(4) Managing Tomorrow’s Organisations, 2nd edition;
(5) Guide to Effective Management of Business Organisation, 2nd edition;
(6) Guide to the Management of Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Financing of Terrorism,
(7) Business Planning and Report Writing, 2nd edition;
(8) Getting One Step Ahead of the Pack,2nd edition;
(9) Managing People and Business,2nd edition;
(10) Managing Effective Teams in Organisations, 2nd edition;
(11) Managing Service, Finance, Credit and Debts,
(12) Essentials of Managing Yourself, 2nd edition;
(13) The Art & Soul of Project Management, 2nd edition;
(14) Banking and Finance in Malaysia, 3rd edition;
(15) Guide to Import and Export Trade in Malaysia, 2nd edition;
(16) Guide to Obtaining Bank Financing,
(17) Internal Auditing---supporting fraud awareness, risk mgt & corporate governance; and two books for The Malaysian Institute of Corporate Governance, namely
(18) Audit Committee….Going Forward Towards Corporate Governance,
(19) The Essentials of Corporate Management.
Dr Joseph Eby Ruin’s website is at: www.riskfirstconsult.com.my